The Bradley Community Has High Hopes for Next Semester as Covid-19 Vaccines are Issued

May 3, 2021
By

On April 11th, Bradley University expanded it’s Covid-19 vaccine eligibility to all students, faculty, staff and their families. The University received 1,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine, and called upon the Bradley community to “save” the doses. Bradley receives 1,000 COVID vaccine doses to be given to students next week

Nursing student Madison Kuffel at her station ready to administer the vaccine.

This opportunity was available over the course of two days, administering a total of 745 vaccines to the Bradley community. Results from Bradley’s vaccination clinics – The Bradley Scout Many seized this opportunity, including Bradley’s current nursing students, who were given the ability to perform what they’ve learned in their classes by directly distributing the vaccinations themselves.

A few Bradley nursing students were enjoying their experience at Markin in between giving vaccines.

“I signed up without second thought because I feel that this is a big step back to normalcy, and I was excited to be a part of it,” Bradley nursing student Madison Ciesla said. 

Evan Meyer, a senior at Bradley University, received the shot mid April at Markin, the recreational center where COVID vaccinations have been distributed. 

“I got the first vaccination, not the second yet. I got Moderna. My arm was sore, but I felt no other side effects,” Meyer said. “Markin was professional about it, and it was the nursing program who did it. It took maybe 30 seconds.”

The Moderna vaccine requires a second dosage 28 days later. Students will again have the ability to sign up for an appointment and go to the on campus center to receive their second shot. 

“I am excited to receive the second dosage, the ease of the process definitely helped my decision to get it in the first place,” Meyer said. 

Nursing student Madison Kuffel administered the first shot throughout the days Bradley was offering it. The ability for nursing students to give the second dosage is there, but limited.

“I would give the vaccine again, but there weren’t enough spots for me to do it. I wish I had the ability to administer the COVID vaccine again,” Kuffel said. “It’s a good way for us to practice what we’ve learned in class outside of school. Bradley gave us a great opportunity.”

Sophomore Bradley student Abi Voss and Eliza Kraft are smiling after a successful vaccine.

Eliza Kraft is pictured here giving the Moderna vaccine to a Bradley student.

Bradley University is continuously offering opportunities for their students to adapt to the pandemic, providing as many resources they can for their students: from nursing majors being able to give the shots, to Bradley’s population getting vaccinated so easily and the dashboard updating the community about the pandemic. COVID-19 Dashboard | Health and Wellbeing | Bradley Unite 

From April 23rd to 29th, there were 10 positive tests on campus. Since then, only one positive test has been recorded. The second vaccination clinic will take place on campus May 8th and 10th-14th. Students can access more information about vaccines on campus by clicking this link.  Vaccination | Health and Wellbeing | Bradley Unite

Here’s an example of a completed Covid-19 vaccine card through Bradley.

According to Bradley’s Office of Public Relations, Bradley is planning on returning to a normal in-person, on-campus learning environment next semester. President Standifird is committed to being back on campus, ensuring that everyone’s safety will remain the priority and that the University will be following all federal, state, and local guidelines.  Bradley Plans to Return to Traditional Residential In-Person Education for Fall 2021  

“It’s exciting to see the start of a change firsthand, and I believe we definitely are headed in the right direction for an in-person school year,” Ciesla said.

Written by: Olivia Claussen and Belle Allison-Plew

Tags: