Bradley’s 2017 Homecoming Soccer Game Did Not Disappoint

October 1, 2017
By

Channing Whitaker and Beau Woodcock

COM 360

Capie

Fall 2017 Semester

On September 16, the Bradley Braves soccer team hosted Fort Wayne at Shea Stadium to cap off the 2017 Bradley Homecoming weekend with over 2,000 fans attending. Besides the soccer game itself, other festivities that made this night special including tailgating before the game, homecoming king and queen being announced at halftime, and also postgame fireworks.

The many tailgate parties before the game filled up almost the entire parking lot. People part of the Bradley community that participated were the students whether or not they were part of student-organizations, student-athletes, faculty, and alumni. School spirit was on display for people who showed up to pre-game.

“The environment for me was pretty chill. I love the fact that all the Bradley students can get together to show some school spirit with people we likely would never interact with,” said sophomore Rebeca Gomez. “Overall, there was a lot of good music, food, games and great company. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn’t been to a Homecoming game.”

So to the first half of the soccer game, the highlight moment was when Bradley’s sophomore Roman Schindler scored a five yard header in the 32nd minute to give the Braves a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.

At halftime, seniors Jacob Martini and Kelly Wrobel were announced Homecoming King and Queen as the crowd reacted with a roar as over half of the Bradley student population casted their ballots for this honor.

“It was a great memory that I was able to share with my friends and family,” said Martini. “I am thankful for all the opportunities Bradley has provided me, but this is definitely going to be at the top of the list.”

“When it was announced that I had won I was so shocked, but it was such an amazing feeling, because I know freshman year me would be so proud of myself for participating in the week, let alone taking home the crown,” said Wrobel. “Overall, definitely a perfect way to start my senior year at Bradley.”

Now to the second half of the soccer game, the Braves were able to take control scoring two more goals to before the end of the night which included Roman Schindler scoring his second goal of the night on another header in the 53rd minute.

While on the defensive end for the Braves, the graduate transfer goalkeeper Brandon Barnes made seven saves keeping Fort Wayne’s offensive out of the goal as the final score ended up being 3-0.

“It was an unbelievable feeling when over 2,300 people are cheering for you and your team,” said Schindler. “It definitely has been my most memorable soccer game so far.”

“As an athlete I’ve never been a part of something like Bradley’s homecoming game, so to see the level of support that the student, parents, and alumni showed for our team that night was amazing,” said Barnes. “On the field you could feel the support and it pushed the guys to work harder for the result.”

Only fitting that after this amazing victory, the colorful fireworks shot off into the Peoria night sky. Overall, the Bradley 2017 Homecoming soccer game was a success and very high hopes that 2018 will be the same.

Tags: , , ,